Saturday, December 3, 2011

A little bit of baking

So, here's what we did today:  Well, yesterday Hubby fried up lots, and lots, and lots of bacon.  And onion.  Don't forget the onion.

Today I started mixing up dough in my amazing early Christmas gift from Amma.


Then, once the sweet dough has had a chance to double, I took a bunch of dough, and flattened it.  And put a spoonful of fried bacon.


Then I rolled the dough around the bacon, sealed it, and pressed it into a crescent shape.




Then I let them rise again, brush with beaten egg, and put in the oven.  What comes out it SOOOO tasty!  It's called perogs and it is from Latvia which is where my father's parents were born.  Growing up, the smells of bacon and onion frying together would bring me back to my Grandma's house where we'd frequently go for Christmas and Easter (well, when we were living in Ontario), and after we moved to BC, my Mom kept it up.  Now it's my fourth Christmas doing them on my own.  They are a little bigger than the ones Mom does, and they frequently pop open in the oven, but that's likely because I stuff them too full.  I can't help it.  They are so yummy!  And I had some extra dough tonight, so I did cinnamon buns with what was left, so there'll be a treat for breakfast tomorrow!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment