Friday, March 23, 2012

baking and learning

It's been a pretty exciting week at Chez Macintyre.  Boy2's birthday was a rousing success, everyone mad it through without being sick (always a plus), and the house is currently (mostly) clean with the laundry (more-or-less) caught up.

The Boy came home from school Tuesday talking all about the visitors to his class that day.  They had a python and a tortoise come.  I was told all about how the snake felt, how you don't touch a tortoise' tail because it will pee on the floor, how deep/far a tortoise can dig, you name it, I learned it.

I'm also learning how smart my Boy really is.  He put a row of six stickers on a piece of paper, put an equals sign and the number six.  Then he put in addition signs.  Then he wrote down the different ways to add to six (2+3+1, 2+2+2, 5+1, and so on).  And this is Kindergarten!  They are learning groups of ten, groups of five (prep for multiplication and division), and he's beginning to really read.  Report cards came out Thursday and I could feel my heart swell as I read the teacher comments on how this little person is growing and developing at such a rate!  Pride may be a sin, but it's one I am horribly guilty of where my kids are involved!

Boy2 has done a bit of a turn around this week.  Twice he's asked to go to bed early and has gotten himself into his pj's at 6:30.  He's started saying "please" and "thank you" without reminders.  Don't really know what to think, but there are enough glimpses into the old Boy2 that I'm not overly worried.  It was just a little odd to hear "Momma?  Can we go to bed early tonight?" two nights in a row.

The Girl is teething again.  But this time sleep is not the enemy.  She woke up early this morning saying "Ow.  Ow.  Momma, ow."  And yesterday she was holding her fingers in her mouth yelling and crying.  So those are my indicators this time.  She's still napping, still sleeping through the night (thankfully), and there doesn't seem to be any fever this time.

Yesterday the snow started again.  Sunday afternoon Hubby and the kids raked the back yard since most of it was bare and dry.  It's not anymore.  But after the kids were done playing in the snow at the school park, they wanted to play in the back.  I thought "But your stuff is already wet!" however, they stayed out there for quite a while, brought their stuff in, and it was all dry today, so it worked out.

They got to have waffles for breakfast this morning with blue berry syrup (Daddy made it last night), cheese buns and strawberries for lunch, and more light stuff for supper.  Hubby is in Edmonton for a seminar tonight, so it's just the kids and me.

Wednesday night I felt like baking so I made blondies.  Hubby felt like doing the syrup yesterday so he did.  Tonight I felt like baking, so there are currently cinnamon buns in the oven.  I hope they turn out, though.  My dough wasn't really rising, but I need them done a cooled before I go to bed tonight.  They smell tasty :)

As far as the newest addition I'm working on, I've been utterly exhausted this week.  I can barely keep my eyes open at nap time, but I know if I sleep then, sleep will not come as easily at night.  Unlike Hubby, I'm not accustomed to waiting for sleep.  It usually summons me and I start sawing logs almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.  Anything longer than that frustrates me, so I've been trying to not nap.  When I can't help it, I wake suddenly 20 or so minutes in and then I get up.

But I've hit the more uncomfortable stage.  A few aches and pains, tossing and turning to try to get comfy at night, toss in a handful of Braxton Hicks contractions and there's a pretty accurate snapshot of where I'm at. But every night I see the belly moving, I feel the turning and kicking, and it's all good.

I can't believe there are only 11 weeks to go (give or take) until this little bundle comes to join us.  Hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment