Wednesday, October 24, 2012

procrastinating...

Living room and kitchen are a mess, laundry has yet to be started, but I think I'll sit down and write a bit before I do the other stuff.  The mess isn't going anywhere :)

We've been getting colder weather, these last few weeks.  We've even had a little bit of snow (note the "little bit"... there are a few people in this home who are disappointed that it isn't more and that it's currently all gone!) so there has been a shift in the front entry way of our house.  The ball caps and flip flops are gone, replaced with snow boots, snow pants, mittens, and toques (that really doesn't look like it's spelled right...).  The back yard has the umbrella and cushions from our little patio set in the shed, along with the clothes line and sand toys.  Bikes are away (although they will likely come back out for a bit if the snow doesn't come and stay soon). 

Cooked up a bunch of tomatoes and pureed them for sauce.  Grated a bunch of zucchini for baking and sauces.  Last night we did potato bacon soup for supper after I made up two zucchini loaves and a batch of cookies.  Let's just say that the urge to bake is here, as is the compulsion to drink tea all evening.  This house doesn't seem to keep the wind out, so when we had some really cold gusts last week, it was chilled here in the house.

The Boy is really enjoying Grade one.  He's bringing home workbooks a in which he's done very well.  He's also brought home some work that isn't as well (still pretty good, though) in which the mistakes were ones made simply by not paying close enough attention.  This week is the start of the spelling lists, so I'm getting him to practice as we get supper made.  He's enjoying it.  As well as his home reading books.  Every school night, he brings home a designated book that he reads to us and we initial and date a little booklet.  I think that the objective is to make sure the kids are reading at home and to get used to homework.  Once the children read twenty of these books, they get a small prize.  The Boy is very excited about reading, and he's been very good about getting us to sit with him so he can do this.

Boy2 went on a field trip last week to a farm.  They sat in a combine harvester, saw cows, held baby kittens.  Of course the Girl got to do all of this too, since it was a preschool trip, so the parents came along and were responsible for their own children.  Tomorrow they are going on a trip to Romania.  The class is encouraged to bring an empty suitcase and they are going to "fly" to Romania, someone from there is going to talk to them, and they are going to write letters to a group of children there.  They did this when the Boy was in preschool there as well, so Boy2 is really excited about this.

The Girl is much better.  She is looking less pale and her activity levels are back up.  Yesterday the kids dug out some costumes and so she was a dragon for most (if not all) of the afternoon.  Managed to get her out of it for supper, though, and without a fit! 

Tomorrow after we drop the boys off at their schools Hubby and I are going into Edmonton to look for fabric.  I'm thinking that I'll make some Avengers jammies for the boys and find some fabric to do for my Girl as well.  Then I' going to take in some jammies for Hubby, since he's lost an awful lot of weight in the last year and a half.  It'll be good to sew again.  There's really no reason why I haven't recently, other than all I want to do by the time the kids go to bed is rest and do nothing myself!  I think that's fairly normal, though.  I just need to keep busy so I don't snack as much in the evening.  That's too easy a habit to fall into.

Girl2 is doing great.  She's gaining weight and strength.  She's started on cereal, so she's happy to be eating food like the rest of the family.  She's also started grabbing things, so nothing is safe.  I'll have her on my lap at the table and suddenly the table cloth will be moving!  She's quick, too!  And she's so interested in what is going on.  If she's crying while I'm carrying her then I start something (especially if it's noisy like running water) she stops crying and tries to see what is making the noise :)

But I've probably procrastinated enough.  Stuff to start and hopefully get done before it's time to pick up the Boy from school today.  However, the best laid plans of mice and men... for me at least, rarely get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment