Monday, August 19, 2013

Race Day

Yesterday, Hubby ran in the Navy 10k run.  It was his first race here in Halifax, and out of the 400 or so runners, he placed 89th!  Way to go Daddy!
Getting ready for the race!
The sun was shining wonderfully warm, there were snacks and juice for everyone.  And not just the timbits and cookies either.  There was yogurt, grapes, bananas, apples, oranges, granola bars, chocolate milk, apple and orange juice boxes, coffee and tea.  There was a kids race that was already finished by the time we got there.  It was lots of fun!

Lining up and getting ready!

Just before we told them not to climb

Two feet on the ground was the rule

The Boy was upset that we wouldn't let him climb the monuments
It was an experience, although not an altogether new one, that we found ourselves having different rules than the parents around us.  There were kids climbing all over the cannons and anchor that are on display.

But it was still fun.  There was a husband and wife who ran the 5k and they finished still holding hands. There was a mom, dad, and a double stroller that did the 10k.  It was a big family affair and I am looking forward to next year's.  Maybe I'll do the 5k!  In the last six months or so I've taken up running.  Not that far, only 3 days a week, but it's something to keep me a bit more active aside from chasing kids.  And I feel better for doing it.  When I went out on my birthday more than 2 months ago, I decided that I would like to do a race with Hubby next year.  I think this might be the one we'll do.  He'll do the 10 again, since 5k is a nice warm up for him, and I'll stick with the shorter distance.

Chickadee in our birdfeeder

Woodpecker in one of the trees

No comments:

Post a Comment