Saturday, April 12, 2014

Progress!

It's raining.  Again.  I know I shouldn't be surprised, and I am very glad it isn't the white fluffy stuff that (apparently) we had much more of this year than usual.  (Funny side note: every place we move to has a bad winter at least for the first one we're there for.  First winter in Saskatoon they had the worst blizzard in 50 years, first winter in Spruce Grove had the coldest, highest snowfall in years, and now here.  If weather hadn't been off all around the country, I'd think we are jinxed!)

We've made it through the week.  And I think we've even made progress!  Every time we went to go out Girlie would throw a fit.  Yelling and screaming that she doesn't want to leave the house.  Just wants to stay home.  I totally get that, but she's my little social butterfly normally and having her yell and scream and sometimes try to hit me (NOT tolerated in this house!) was very trying at times.  But we went on a playdate after school Thursday and she was fine (as long as we remembered to bring banana muffins to share).  We went for a walk in the beautiful sunshine, found salamanders, worms, little sleeping frogs, wood peckers, heard mourning doves, the Sea Kings flew really close by a few times, and puddles were splashed in.  Then when I dropped the girls off at casual care so I could attend the coffee group, there was no fuss from either of them!  They walked in, took boots off, coats off, shoes on, kisses goodbye, and left!  I was in shock!!

This week has been a busy one.  I had to put myself on a novel reading time out, since things just weren't getting done and in this house with these children, that isn't a good thing.  Things don't just add up, they grow exponentially!  The laundry, the toys, the books, the dishes, food really should be planned and cooked, otherwise that balanced (or mostly balanced) diet just doesn't happen.  So after we had that big rain on Tuesday where I did read all day, the novels have been put away and I've been doing really well!  Stayed on top of tidying (after playing catch up), actually made meals instead of thinking that canned soup would work.  Again.  Nothing wrong with the soup, though...

We have had palydates after school twice, so I planned the meals so that they would either be ready when we got home (LOVE crockpot meals!) or for pick up.  Yesterday we just got some hot and ready pizzas from Little Caesar's.  And then I got to go out last night for a board games evening with friends.  So I got a sitter and got to play Clue for the first time in what seems like forever.  I remember playing with Hubby when we bought the game back in Calgary (wow, was that really 5 years ago!) but before that, the last time I had played was with my sisters years ans years ago.  I can remember laying on our parents' water bed, playing the game, fighting over who got to be Ms Scarlet...

Hubby had the chance to call us yesterday.  Maybe that's why I'm in such a good mood despite the rain.  It was wonderful to hear his voice instead of only emailing, but even the emailing has been nice.  They are in Charleston, two days off, then more work again.  13 more sleeps until he's here!  Wish it would be for longer, but at least we'll have those couple of days.

My children are a bunch of turkeys!  Regular goof balls.  And I love it!  They try to sneak attack (they aren't very good at it yet), tickle fights, and just being silly.  It's great.

Monkey actually sort of has a few words!  I am so excited about that.  You can tell that she wants to be understood better and is sorta kinda trying harder.  But she still makes herself understood without words.  Very well.

Smarty and Sergeant are taking their role of boys of the house very seriously.  Every morning they are in my room with me, making sure I'm not lonely, and Smarty has offered on more than one occasion to stay up later with me for the same reason.  And as long as it doesn't interfere with what they are already doing (they have the same reading addiction I have.  So does Hubby for that matter, although he can usually put the book down...) they will accomplish the tasks I ask them to with minimal fuss.

But I should probably start the day.  We've already breakfasted (tasty pancakes!) and my coffee is almost done, so I should likely shower and get moving.  Need some groceries, would love to go for a walk but I don't think that'll happen in the rain right now...  I don't mind it, but I don't like hearing the complaints.  We'll have to see what the afternoon will bring.  I may brave it yet.  And hopefully we'll get a chance to Skype with Daddy.  That would be beyond awesome  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment