Saturday, October 29, 2016

Tunisia and India

We have been to North Africa. And that was a very fun culinary experience for me! Sergeant was looking at Tunisia in school, so that was where he wanted to go next. We looked at recipes, i found something I thought the children would enjoy, and he found a dessert he wanted to taste. So I made pasta and chicken bharat for supper last Friday. I really, really enjoyed combining the spices and following the recipe, smells of cinnamon and turmeric filled the house. I really enjoyed it, the kids didn't really care for it. It wasn't a vehement disgust, just... meh.

However, the dessert was WOW! I did them on Sunday, because of timing and plans, and they were a big hit. A pastry called "Yo-yos". They are a yeast doughnut with orange juice and zest dipped into a lemon honey for a glaze.  I'll definitely make them smaller next time, but there will be a next time! 




They were so so good! Definitely an unexpected flavour with all the citrus, as a friend or two pointed out when I shared the goods. And super duper sticky.

Last night we went to India for our weekly trip. Girly's choice. So the idea was to have chicken korma (which everyone loved!!) and tapioca pudding. Was going to make kheer, but I'll likely make that today or tomorrow instead. Mmmmmm.  Rice pudding....

And next week (might end up being the week after)Monkey wants to go to Peru. Hubby has made a few suggestions that he recalls having when he went there way back when, so that might mean that he and Monkey do that one.  We'll see how that goes.

Halloween costuming is well under way, Hubby has returned home from the field safely, crafting is continuing. I have added crochet to my list of things I've learned and developed in the last year, and I'm debating the idea of getting at table at the middle school's fundraising event and selling some things. Not sure if I'll have sufficient stock by the time it's on, but we'll see.

So things are moving along and everyone is staying busy. It is fantastic having Hubby back for a few weeks, and Monkey and I enjoyed a nice day yesterday with him being off work. Very surprised that there is no more white frozen stuff on the ground. That first weekend Hubby was away we had snow and ice and everything, but it's all gone now. Yay! We might not have to have snow suits under costumes on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment