Monday, March 29, 2010

Blessings

This is a Monday I can live with. My 24 hour bug is gone, I have two fewer extra kids to look after than I thought, and it's amazing to see the way the kids play when I'm not always on conflict resolution mode.

Puzzles, books, block towers, and snack time. I was even able to sort and put away most of the weekend's laundry that was sitting in our room. You should see the linen closet too. Hubby and I went through it and we now have a garbage bag or two for the Sally Ann, and this morning (with the ever present help from the Boys) I even organized what we have left.

Boy 2 went down easily for his nap, but not the Boy, but that's alright... I enlisted his help to clean up the puzzle and book mess in the living room (Boy 2 pulled every single book off the middle shelf and tried to put them in a basket. The baskwas too small, but that didn't deterr him.)

It's definitely fun to watch the differences that esch child brings into the home. The Boy is actually fairly quiet, enjoys looking at books by himself, and has become quite the talker. This morning he ran into his room and closed the door tight. I can't even remember the reason he was upset. After a few minutes I asked him if he was going to come out. The response? "Never, never, never!" Where did he pick that up? Asked if he would come out for lunch. Response? "It's not lunch time yet!" Fairly astute, but he doesn't tell time yet. He's only three and a half!

Boy 2 does everything in his own way and in his own time. Not a hug or kiss will you get from him unless he wants to. When an idea pops into his head (like "we need to go downstairs now") He will drag you to where he wants you and when you dare to utter the "N" word, his entire universe collapses in front of your eyes. It may mean that I'm callous and hard, but more often than not when he reaches that point I find it very difficult not to laugh. Then, when he's playing when it's just him and his brother, the Boy will be reading and Boy 2 will be being an airplane or a helicopter. Being an airplane means, going "bbbbbbbbbbbbbb" with arms outstretched and runing around, and around, and around. Helicopters spin, so, arms open wide, spinning in little circles like a top until he topples over dizzy.

The absolute best thing about watching them play, though, is when the extras all go home, Daddy is here, and we've either just finished eating supper, or we're waiting for it to be ready. Daddy will take off, with Boys in hot persuit, and they'll all run around and around and around. Then Daddy will stop, let the Boys catch him, and the Boy will take off "Catch me. catch me!" Or it'll be the Boy urging Boy 2 " let's get him, let's get him." They make me tired just watching them. Then, post bath and pre bed, the stories are magical.

I LOVE being a part of this home. I feel incredibly blessed to watch these kids grow and develop in front of my eyes. And it isn't just the physical or cognitive growth that amazes me. It's the Boy running up to me and asking for us to say prayers for Daddy so he comes home safe, it's reading the children's bible and asking questions that they know the answers to, it's being able to say the Lord's prayer every night and having (at least the Boy) be able to recite some of it along with us. I am really, truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment