Thursday, April 1, 2010

Music, music, music!

I have a musician in the making. My little Boy2 was walking around the house today with a drum mallet and a maraca (alternately) as a microphone. I have absolutely no clue as to what exactly he was singing, but the dancing and long sounds coming from his mouth gave away the secret of what he was doing. My only guess is that he picked it up from his brother, who picked it up because his favorite past time in the whole world is to sit on Daddy's lap and watch Youtube music videos.

When Hubby is home, at the computer and music starts playing, there is a sudden stampede of two pairs of little feet (that sounds like a thundering herd of elephants) into the computer room, followed by the chuckle as Daddy tries to help two little boys both onto his lap comfortably. It doesn't matter what Hubby has playing. Any sound at all from the computer speakers produces this effect. It could be music ( rock, country, classical, religious) or a comedian's routine (we've found a few we really like) or a lecure. And heaven help us if we scroll down and they can no longer see the little screen (again, it doesn't matter what is on the screen).

But I really do love the natural sounds of kids making music. When the Boy had his second Christmas ( I was pregnant with #2) we requested no toys with batteries. We got no toys with batteries, but we did get drums, xylophones, maracas, shakers, rattles, you name it. The funny thing is, I really don't like the sound of most battery opertated toys ( most of them end up getting a battery-ectomy within a month or so) but I LOVE the cacophony that comes from children leading each other around in circles, banging cymbals, shaking noise makers, and hitting drums (so long as it is olny the drum being hit. These ARE children after all).

So last week, when my nerves were frazzled by the day's end, I welcomed the cooperative play that developed into an impromptu marching band made up of five children aged five and under (with the youngest one being lapped again and again. She was having SO much fun!) Or today, with the one flying solo. They both take turns doing it. The Boy frequently uses the broom as a microphone or an upright bass (these are cultured little boys!). It makes me want to dig out my clarinet (that I keep meaning to take out anyway), and start practising again.

But for now, I'll enjoy the wonderful sounds that the imaginations of the kids bring to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment