Monday, April 5, 2010

My Boys

My boys are just wonderful. I realize that I have said this quite a bit and it is likely that I will continue to restate that fact. It isn't that I'm immune to their antics or temper tantrums. It's just simply the fact that I absolutely adore my children. Hubby keeps telling me that it's probably a good thing, since I'm stuck with them for life. But when we go for a "mommy/daddy" walk (the exercise is for mom and dad, not the kids so the boys are forced/coerced/bribed to sit in the wagon for most of the duration) and I turn around to see how they're doing and all I see is Boy2 leaning back onto the Boy and the Boy has his arms wrapped around Boy2, I can't helpbut feel the maternal pride and love swell. Of course, because they are only human, two seconds later they are at each others' throats, but that one moment is forever etched in my mind.

It also helps that they really do love each other. Naturally, Boy2 has no memory of life without big brother, but the Boy's memory of life before little brother is, I think, virtually non-existent. That is the benefit of having them closer together. Nineteen months isn't a long time. We went from having a baby-on-his-way-to-toddlerhood to having an almost toddler and another baby. Now, with number three on it's way, we are having to readjust ourselves to a new way of thinking. The Boy was still so much a baby when Boy2 finally made his appearance. #3 will be coming into a home with a MUCH different dynamic.

Still, when Hubby moved the rocking chair out of the boys' room this morning (to save the wall from further disaster) I got a little sad. Yes, in just under five months there will be another baby to rock to sleep, but part of our night time ritual is either myself or Hubby sitting in the rocking chair after prayers, and singing/reading scripture to the boys. Tonight we tried just saying "goodnight" and closing the door. Is it sad that I'm glad it didn't work? We left the room. Hubby went on the computer to do homework and I went downstairs to change laundry. I came back up, glanced through the mostly closed door and saw Boy2' bed empty. Hubby said he was second guessing the approach, so I went in since the Boy had just started calling me. There they were, both on the Boy's bed under the blanket. As soon as he saw me, Boy2 got out and climbed into his own bed. The Boy was trying to tell me it was alright and Boy2 could sleep with him, but i tried to tell him that, while I thought it was wonderful and good that he wanted to share his bed with his brother, there were two beds in the room for a reason.

I don't ever want to stop the intense brotherly love that exists between those two. They have been through so much together, between moving so many times in their short lives and having to share their space with four other kids through most of the week, and will likely go through so much more ( that's just how life works). Sure, they fight, what kids don't? But they are perfect little boys, full of energy, life, and a love of dirt, trucks, and dinosaurs. What more can a mom ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment