Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Noise

There are certain sounds I love to hear, no matter what the state of my headaches are. I absolutely love the sounds of happy children playing. It's the silence that worries (except at nap and bed times, but that's different). Take right now, for instance. I have the Boy in the bathroom, filling up a cup of water and then taking a siringe (medicine applicator for babies) and getting himself a drink of water that way. Boy2 was playing drums on the side of the bathtub, but now is trying to put his own shoes on. The extra child this morning is just following them around (probably wondering what the heck they're doing) while holding her Pooh Bear.

Yesterday afternoon, the Boy got out his plastis scissors and wanted to cut, so I got out construction paper. Both boys were trying to cut, Boy2 less successfully, and then the Boy held up his creation. "Look! I made broom!" (a little half circle with "bristles" cut out of the flat end). He then made one for his brother.

It's like earlier in the day, I had a huge headache. The Boy turned off the music, then proceeded to make his own with his younger brother on vocals. They wanted to be the Guess Who. I did take some pictures and will post them later.

But it's the happy, playing sounds that I enjoy so much. This morning, Boy2 climbed out of our bed (he always ends up there for at least the last half hour of the night), found an ambulance, and tried to get the Boy to play with him. Then they climbed on the bed, presumably to get us to play with them as well. When I suggested they go to the living room to pay, and that they could probably see to turn on the lights themselves, they left, only to come back to show us what they'd found and to thrust empty sippies at us til we got up.

Granted, the happy noises only last so long, or they escalate to happy shrieks and squeals. Neither of which are favorites of mine (well, the latter only if we're outside) but they come as part of the package. Happily, at least lately, the nice and wonderful sounds ar the most common. Now if I could only convince them that sleep isn't an enemy but a friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment