Thursday, April 15, 2010

Oy!

Wow! If ever there was a day...

Yesterday I had four extra kids over, plus a sick Hubby (He really, really never is sick. I think the last time was two years ago), and a furnace that decided yesterday was a good day to blow it's motor. We had the huge, loud, piercing whistle at midnight yesterday morning, but with the activity and noise, we didn't get the smell until supper when all the kids had gone home.

So, we tried to find our landlord's phone number. Do you think we could find it? It had been written on a whoteboard on the fridge, but that was eight and a half months ago, so the first three or four digits were by now erased. We went through files, the lease agreement, emails, could not find it. Called a 24hour repair service, told them the make and what the problem consisted of, and was told to replace the filter and see. If that didn't work, since it's a high efficency heater, they would be able to get the part until morning anyway. After looking through some deleted emails (thank goodnes our computer doesn't really get rid of ANYTHING!) Hubby found a phone number for the landlord. What did we get? Answering machine! Keep in mind that we emailed a couple of times through the afternoon and evening.

So the furnace has been off for over twelve hours now. We finally got a phone call from the landlord at nearly ten last night. They had problems trying to get into their email. So he asked what the status was then, asked to call right back, and did. He was trying to get a hold of their regular furnace guy, but was unable to, so they'll be trying again this morning. They also gave us their contact numbers again (hopefully we won't be needing them!).

With lots of blankets, we got through the night (it's not reall all that cold in here, just cooler than we normally have it) but the Boy just informed me that he was cold, and snuggled right under a big comforter. But then he found the thermometer we accidentally left there from when Daddy took his temp yesterday. Now he's walking around trying to take Boy2's tempfrom his elbow! Oh, boy. Boy2 just stole it and ran with a giggle in his wake. At least they're staying warm.

Also, after bedtime, I had to run out to get diapers (Boy2 was out) as well as the standard sick stuff (gingerale, grape juice, gravol...). I got home to discove that I'd forgotten the diapers! (I blame the pregnant brain of course!). So I went out again. It was misting. You know, not really raining, but that fine mist that you associate with standing close to a waterfall? Now, I love the rain. I even enjoy the mist. Not so much with glasses though.

I'm fortunate enough that I don't really need to wear glasses. I have a very paltry perscription. I just do wear them because if I don't for too long I get migraines. Hubby is practically blind without his. He can see blurrs, but that's about it. When I sometimes misplace my glasses, and he sees me walking around trying to find them, he reminds me that they should be on my face, and that he would not be able to look for his unless they were on his nose.

Anway, gotta go. Been up for an hour already I need to shower before too much more time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment