Tuesday, May 18, 2010

books and swimming

Well, the heat is here. Two or three days with a high of nearly thirty makes it hard to believe that a week and a half ago the daily high was ten! But, now that the good weather is here, Hubby and I decided to work on our backyard. This means that no children are allowed to play back there until the grass decides to grow back. I don't know what is up with our lawn, but the grass seems more dead than alive right now. I think it may have something to do with the ice and puddles and kids trying to dig and move the water around when the big melt happened.

So, Friday evening we put some seed/fertilizer on the grass, and now comes the oh-so-difficult task of waiting, watering, and keeping little feet off of it for a while. We had no clue it would get this hot this fast. So we play inside, downstairs (soooo much cooler down there!), go for walks, and the occasional visit to the park. Sunday we went for a family swim followed by a visit to the library. That was such a hit that we're thinking of making it habit. At least until we move or the baby comes, whichever happens first.

The boys really do love swimming, though. We tried out a different pool this time, and it has a big waterslide (well, bigger than the 18 inch one at the pool closest to us) and neither one wanted to stop. I wasn't comfortable going down, being six months pregnant, so Daddy took one, then the other, then the first one again, then the second one. Boy were there screams when it was time to go! The Boy has started understanding time a bit more, so it wasn't him complaining, it was Boy2. I took the Boy into the changerooms while Boy2 got one last ride down the waterslide. Oh, the howling we heard as they came into the changerooms. Once he was undressed and in the shower he didn't mind so much, but that's just the way it goes.

The library is always fun. Since both Hubby and I are horribly addicted to the printed word (Hubby more so than I am) and with school being done, there has been at least three or four trips to the library bringing home at least eight or nine books plus something for the kids. (just to give you a idea, the week Hubby's classes ended, he took out about a dozen novels and was done them before the end of he week. I had only read three of them) So every time Hubby goes to the library, he takes at least on child if not both since I'm tied to the house with the extra kids. There are currently eight children's books and twelve adult books around the house. I'm trying to do my best, and I may even keep up this time, since Hubby is working five days a week, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't get much time to read during the day, and by night time I'm just beat (especially with the heat!). Hubby seems to function on less sleep than I do (always been the case, actually) and he reads quite quickly (must have picked that up from reading all those academic books for nearly a decade).

I am so grateful that the boys have (so far) caught or love of reading, though. Neither one of us a strong supporter of movies while traveling, so we load up the books and toys before a journey. More often than not, though, they talk and play with each other. Th Boy is always loooking outside, talking about what he sees or asking what something is. Thank heavens his Dad was a farm kid, 'cuz I would have no clue about some of the things we've seen (although after a dozen or more trips from here to various family members my knowledge is much greater than it was).

Well, that's probably enough rambling today. I really need to start doing this on the desktop so I can put pictures up. Maybe this weekend. We're supposed to get 30-40 mm of rain Saturday, so maybe I'll work on that while the kids watch some cartoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment