Thursday, June 10, 2010

growing grass (my lawn)

Well, four kids are down for a now, one is playing quietly on the floor, there's a short list of things I wanted to do at nap time today, but they'll wait.

It's been a pretty good week so far, aside from the Boy catching my cold and now having a voice that's so hoarse. Boy2 has been talking up a storm (I think that the hatch is open and the words will just flood his brain from here on out). It's very exciting to see/hear.

I was so excited yesterday afternoon when the kids went out to play: there's grass growing in my yard! Now, I know that for most people this is an everyday occurrence, but we haven't had a normal spring and what with the ice, water, and kids stomping and trying to dig in the mud, the grass in our backyard hasn't really had much of a chance. For most of the month of May we seeded and put soil down in the worst areas and did our best to keep it moist and soft without letting the kids out there. When we gave up on that, we let them outside but under close supervision so there would be little or no traipsing through the seeded area.

After being away this weekend, looking out in the backyard and seeing those new shoots coming up was like witnessing a miracle! Now I just have to keep the kids away until the rest comes up and it gets thick enough. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment