Tuesday, April 12, 2011

very brief recap

Well, we just got back from our much needed, greatly anticipated trip to sunny Calgary. As we were driving through the city on our way to the little hotel we'd booked, I heard this little voice from the back: "Mommy? I really wish we lived in Calgary." The Boy I think kinda remembers the time we did call it home.

There are so many cute things I want to write, but as I sit down alot of them leave my sieve-like brain. Friends got the boys both a pair of "noculators" (binoculars) from the Zoo, the kids were (amazingly enough) pretty well behaved, and we got a chance to catch up with some pretty amazing and wonderful people.

We raced from one end of the Zoo to the other and then back again. The kids got to ride the carousel and play on the playgrounds. We went to church where Hubby interned two years ago and it was really nice to see and visit with so many good friends. After church we started down to Vulcan to visit Amma, and we had dinner there with Uncle K and Auntie C. The boys just love Uncle K (he gives air rides while they sit on a foam chair!) and it's always interesting to see Hubby and his brother interact and then look at my two boys!

We did our best to stick to our schedule but you can't really do that all that well when you travel. So we have tired kids now who fell asleep so quickly tonight. This morning, though, Boy2 said he didn't want to go home, he wanted to stay there. My poor social butterfly! As soon as the coat was on, though, he was good to go.

That reminds me: we had put the Boy's socks on this morning. They were still on his feet two minutes before I asked him to put his shoes on. (Stay with me now) I asked him to go to the bathroom (standard procedure, right?) and I notice that only one foot is covered and the other is bare. SO it starts. "Where is your sock? Where did you throw your sock? Where is it?" all the while Hubby and I are searching frantically for the missing sock.

SO he goes to the bathroom, comes back, says "I don't know." and starts looking to. Finally we say "Okay, we are leaving and you will be wearing only one shoe. So he sits down on the couch and says "I was sitting here, then I took off my sock, and put it on my other one." The three of us just stood there. He was wearing both socks the whole time, just they were both on the same foot! At least everything was alright and we ultimately understood what he said.

The Boy's speech has been amazing lately too! Maybe it's that I've been seeing him in a more socialized setting, but he is growing in leaps and bounds with his speech and his understanding. The questions he asks are pretty good ones too, and show how he's trying to make sense of the world and what he learns and where it fits in his understanding.

Boy2 is a real character. Supper on Sunday was really fun. Hubby told him to do something to his uncle, so he would. Then Uncle would tell him to do something to Daddy, so he would. Then they got him to do something to Amma and Daddy and Uncle got into trouble :) He is so funny, though. He was singing and dancing while Amma played the piano last night, then he kept going until bedtime. Tonight he was crying because he wanted to sing a bedtime song on his guitar (no clue what he'd want to be singing). And the last couple of nights (tonight included) he's wanted to snuggle to fall asleep. No lullabies, just snuggles. I find it very difficult to say no to my kids when all they want is a snuggle....

My little Girl has become both more clingy and more outgoing (if that's possible). She's stared smiling more readily and "acting" cute, but she seems to (overall) be worse for the whole "I just want MOMMY!" thing. To be expected in a baby seven and a half months old. She's also back to being very chatty. Pretty sure she said "teddy bear" after I said it, and she's kinda saying her brothers' manes too. (Really, she's making noises, but it's still fun to watch her explore sounds!)

No comments:

Post a Comment