Sunday, June 19, 2011

still more health stuff

It's hard to believe it was only Wednesday that I wrote last. My ultrasound Thursday went really well, in that I got a phone call from the doctor at the hospital not five minutes after coming home telling me to come in to the emergency to see him and/or the surgeon to discuss the results. Now, I know you don't get phone calls (especially that quickly) if the news is particularly good, so in we all went, Hubby dropped me off and I began the long wait for someone to see me.

The surgeon was paged and paged and paged. (Bear in mind that I had fasted for the ultrasound and didn't have time to eat anything when I got home) The regular doctor came, apologized for the wait, but there were no rooms to consult in, and there were more tests he had to order. Shortly after that I went in for x-rays, and then they drew more blood. Hours and hours and hours went by (Hubby made it in to wait the last bit with me. He had to wait for friends to come watch the kids), and I finally saw the resident and her student. They hijacked a room, did a quick consult and assessment, then left me to talk with the surgeon. Hubby and I waited and waited.

She came in, did her own assessment, and we then found out that the duct to my gallbladder was blocked by a stone, so the fluids couldn't get out. As a result, my little organ was now 6 times bigger than it should be. I was admitted that afternoon, and waited for a drain to be put in. It was more risky to try to remove the gallbladder in that state than to put in the drain. So, the drain was put in yesterday afternoon, and will likely stay in for two weeks or so.

I'll go in for an appointment this week when they will see if the stone has dislodged, I will see both the surgeon and the other doc the following week, and hopefully the whole thing will be over, done with, and out by the end of July. Sure beats waiting until the end of July to consult with a surgeon.

The kids have really been troopers. It's frustrating for me, since with this thing in, I can't pick up the kids, give them bear hugs, get down on the floor, really do much of anything. But I am home, I can read stories, give little hugs, tiny snuggles, and lots of kisses. I just have to focus on what I CAN do.

Hubby picked up an air mattress (what an air mattress! Wow, I love it!) and so I slept on it last night since he had to get up with everyone. It worked out really well. At first he said he and the Girl would sleep in the living room, but I like this much better. At least we're in the same room. And the boys think the air mattress is pretty cool too. They wanted to sleep on it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment