Wednesday, September 7, 2011

catching up

It's been a little while since I've written something in here, so I thought I'd sit and do that now with the kids in bed and Hubby out for a walk.  It's been a wonderful week or so.  The Boy had his first day of Kindergarten, the Girl had her first Birthday, tomorrow she gets weighed and measured and poked for her twelve month check up.

Yesterday we were made aware that there;s a pretty mean case of baby measles going around town (can you say fun?).  All I can say is I'm glad her immunizations are tomorrow.

There are so many little things I see and hear in the course of the day and think "I gotta remember to post that" and by the time I sit at the computer, I can't remember even half of it :(  But I'll try....

We were given some apples from a member of the church, so yesterday the boys and I made apple pies to put in the freezer.  Well, I suppose I could say all the kids helped.  The Boy ate the apple peels, Boy2 put most of the apples into the water, and the Girl ate a few pieces of apple.  With peanut butter.  She absolutely LOVES peanut butter.  She will rarely eat crackers without it now.

The Boy had a speech assessment done yesterday just to keep his file up to date.  His case file will now be handed over to the school and the team there will work with him a little bit. The therapist noted that he was very communicative and she was very impressed with his "L" sound. She also said that it was very obvious that we work on corrective speech at home.  He's moved from severe to mild/moderate, and there may be very little need for much work with him past this point, so I'm excited.  Really, considering he's only been talking for (nearly) two years, he's made leaps and bounds progress.  I am so proud of him!

Boy2 is potty trained (FINALLY!!!!).  There are still occasional messes (to be expected) but he's mostly dry (even overnight sometimes!).  He's such a big boy!  And such a helper.  If he and the Boy are fighting over a toy or a book and I'm not really in a spot where I can sit down and redirect with another toy or book, I'll ask him to help me in the kitchen.  He loves it.  He "washes" dishes, puts cut veggies into containers, wipes counters, and talks with me about what we're prepping and what it'll taste like.  We talk about things he's read/seen in a book, how things grow.... I hope it's a foretaste of conversations to come as he gets older.

The Girl is right spoiled, but so adorable.  She's going up and down stairs, on and off the futons, "talking" to us, the whole works.  She just loves to sit and look at a book, and today something caught her attention and I swear she said "what's that?" because of her expression and inflection.  So cute!!  She got a birthday package in the mail from Gramma and Grampa that had a big stuffed cat in it.  I mean, it's not HUGE, but it's almost the same size as she is.  She has taken quite a shine to it and drags it around, gives it big hugs, sleeps with it.  We've tried to get her to attach herself to a stuffed animal (especially so she won't be quite so attached to her num like Boy2) but none have stuck yet, so maybe this one will work out.

This evening we got ( new to us) chest of drawers.  So this afternoon I moved the dresser out of the boys' room into the Girl's room, the one from the Girl's room into the boys' room.  Daddy's dresser was moved into the boys' room, and the new one is now being used by Daddy.  Plus by the end of the month we'll have some new (to us) living room furniture.  I 'm actually getting excited for these changes.  The stuff that we have now is third or fourth hand and very well used (after the kids have gotten through with them....) our poor furniture....

No comments:

Post a Comment