Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Three days in

Back to school and all that that entails!  Three days in and so far we've done pretty good.  Hubby started running again on Sunday so he's back at it.  For a brief note here: he stopped running in December because he had an orchiectomy.  There was an unknown mass in one of his testicles that had to be removed to find out what it was.  Followup appointment last Thursday confirmed that it was Seminoma, so now we are waiting on a CAT scan to see if it's spread anywhere or if it was contained.  Hopefully it was contained.

But Hubby started running again.  He's going slow and not as far as he'd like, especially since he is only 5 weeks post surgery.  But it's getting him out of the house and a bit more active and he's happy to be back at it, and it is helping us get back into a familiar routine.  Daddy gets up for his run, comes home to an awake house, and the day starts.  I don't think I'll ever get used to this time for dismissal, though. I really don't like having to wake the girls up from their naps, but that's the way it's done here.

The other night we were watching the news and there was a story about a  5 year old boy found dead in Saskatoon.  Poor Sergeant's ears perk up at hearing this and he said "A 5 year old boy in Saskatoon died?  Good thing it wasn't me!"  All I could do was hug him and tell him I was glad it wasn't him too.  Then last night he woke up in a panic saying he couldn't breathe. Yelling and crying, I rubbed Vicks on his chest to help clear his nose but he still wouldn't settle.  Finally I asked what else was wrong.  He had had a nightmare.  A bad dream where I died.  Poor guy!  So a cup of water and some prayers later and he slept soundly for the rest of the night.  But this morning when I asked him about his dreams he remembered what that one was.  He didn't tell me details, just asked for hugs and kisses.

Smarty is practicing reading out loud.  Part of their assignment this month is reading a book aloud to the class and answering questions about it.  As well their show and tell will be presenting a favourite toy and telling three things about it then answering three questions from the class.  Tonight he briefly mentioned that he should have practiced more.  He doesn't present his book until the 22nd and his show and tell is the 23rd.  Good that he wants to put the time into it!  He's taken to hiding beside the bed when Daddy is in the shower.  The idea is to sneak up and either scare Dad or attack with snuggles.  It's very cute and this morning when it backfired on him he was very disappointed. But there are always other opportunities!

Girlie has had a few days adjustment to Daddy being back at work.  I'm slowly moving my way back up in her favour.  I didn't do anything to fall from her grace, aside from simply not being her Dad.  She now has stopped pushing me away and laying at the far end of the bed, practically falling off to get away from me at nap time.  She'll pull me closer and tell me she loves me.  I'll never quite be up to where Hubby is, but I'll take what I can.  For as attached as the others are to me, I guess it's alright to have one firmly attached to him.  They all love him but Girlie takes it to a whole other level of affection.

Monkey is a regular monkey.  She's sleeping better (finally!) and she's kinda sorta trying to talk.  Okay, it's still mostly communication with squawks and squeals, but I can sometimes get her to mimic at least the starting sound of some words if no one is around.  But she is crazy smart!  She hears and understands everything and certainly knows what she does or doesn't want!  A couple evenings ago she was playing with Hubby after supper.  And not playing the way she normally does.  She was being cuddly and affectionate.  He was weirded out by that.  She usually yells at him, not pulling his face closer for kisses or climbing onto his lap for hugs.  She was back to normal today, so it may be a slow change.  She is trundling along well, though.

Yesterday I got the Christmas decorations down and into boxes.  Well, for the most part.  I"m sure I'll still be finding some things around for a few weeks if not months.  That's just the way it seems to go here.  And wow, the weather is funny!  Blizzard last Friday, sunny Saturday and Sunday, rain warning for Monday, then freezing up Tuesday and Wednesday so far.  Quite a bit of the snow we got on Friday is already gone from the sun followed by the crazy rain.  Then yesterday we had such loud wind!  Now I'm used to the prairie wind.  This is different.  Sounds and feels different than the 120 km winds of the chinooks.  Simply crazy.  But that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment