Monday, May 31, 2010

Bikes and Trikes

So, last Monday we got the Boy a new bike. Yep, two wheels (with trainers), new helmet, the whole deal. Now everyone he sees he says "I got a new Bike!" I'm so glad that he likes it. Now, if we'll only get a day that has the weather more bike ride suitable, I'm sure he'd be riding all day.

With the switch, of course what happens in a family with siblings, means that Boy2 also got a "new" bike. The Boy's old tricycle and helmet that were too small for him now are the property of the younger brother. Would work out better if he could get his legs working right. He's used to being pushed by the handle of the older trike, but this other one doesn't have that, so it's all toddler powered.

When we have gone out, the expedition looks like this: Daddy and the Boy take off on the brand new orange bike, and I follow with Boy2 on his trike. Before we know it, the Boy and his Dad are out of the cul de sac and zooming around (first time on he fell down maybe three times. Isn't that amazing?) and out of sight. Boy2, obviously much slower, does his best. The first try consisted of me nugding the back of the tricycle gently with my foot and making the steering corrections as they were needed. (Sadly, I can't just hunch over and push him... hips and back just wouldn't take it for very long) Second outing, he figured out the steering (for the most part) and he can peddle downhill very well (I know gravity does most of this, but I applaud him anyway).

I think he understands the principle of what has to happen in order to go, but it just isn't working yet. What we need is a stretch of about two weeks of some nice weather where we can go out once or twice a day to practice (dicey with the extras here, but we do that before they come or after they've gone). I think, by the end of summer, he'll be giving his older brother a run for his money!

No comments:

Post a Comment