Sunday, December 5, 2010

Swinging to the Christmas Rock

One thing I absolutely love about being a stay at home parent is that I see and take part more first hand on the development and growth of the kids. I see the words and understanding come. I see the (sometimes illogical) child logic come together.

Today I really needed a nap. The Boy really needed a nap. Everyone needed a nap. Who got a nap? Boy2 and the Girl. I tried to get the Boy to sleep by saying I was going to sleep on his bunk bed. He called my bluff and said he was going to sleep on my bed. I thought, "Okay, it's been a while, but we can all sleep on the big bed."

Boy2 fell asleep really fast (he always does). The Girl ate, talked and laughed a bit, then fell asleep pretty quickly too. I thought, "Well, the Boy has been very tired all morning. This shouldn't take long." Boy, was I wrong!

An hour and a half later, he's still awake, playing with my hair, playing with his toes, his fingers, everything but being still. He knows and I know that if he gets warm and sits still for two minutes, he'll fall asleep. So he doesn't sit still, doesn't close his eyes, and doesn't keep his blanket on. Oh, well.

I do enjoy watching them play, though. We put together the train set this afternoon, they got out the plastic bowls and wooden spoons and were drumming away to "The Christmas Rock" ( a moose on a Santa train singing the song), and then the Boy decided he was going to make chocolate cake and he needed butter and salt. (I managed to talk him into waiting till tomorrow and we'd make one then.)

They do love their sister, though. She's sitting on the floor right now, propped up with pillows and they just aren't leaving them alone. Boy2 is playing the guitar (a wooden spoon) and bouncing up and down. The boy is jumping from the coffee table to the sofa (again). It really doesn't matter how many times you repeat yourself.

But, despite the frustrations I have surrounding nap time, the days are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment