Tuesday, March 22, 2011

this is the song that never ends....

I have been blessed (cursed?) with a unique kind of memory. The thing that I'm going to compare it to is a sieve. That's right.... a sieve.

Now, not everything goes through the holes of a sieve. Just sand and very fine, dry dirt. The big stuff (like rocks, clumps, bits of wood) stays.

The things that stick to my memory and remain for fast recollection are not necessarily the important things (like the fact that I have to pump the gas pedal a couple of times before starting Hubby's truck on a cold day), but bits of songs, dialogue, or passages from books or movies. In order to be able to readily retrieve the more "important" stuff, it seems it must first be drilled into my ears then stuff them so the information won't leak out.

The oddest things trigger this amazing gift I have and the trigger doesn't have to have anything to do with the response. A word can be said in one context and suddenly a song will start in my mind with that same word in it. Or someone will say something and I'll blurt something else (totally unrelated) from a book or movie. Thse are usually best left unsaid, since not everyone would get the reference...

We went swimming this afternoon, and Boy2's lips were turning blue. The song "I'm Blue" by Eiffel 65 started playing in my head and would not go away! Hubby asked why I was humming it, so I told him. Then itgot stuck in his head (ah! sweet revenge for all of the silly songs he places in my head!)

My brother Peanut Buttern posted a line fron My Fair Lady on Facebook and, sure as shooting, that song was in my head for most of the day.

It's worse when I don't know why the song is stuck and won't leave. It could be one I haven't heard in ages, suddenly ends up playing ad infinitum and will not leave! It's like having a record skip, but playing the whole song instead of four seconds of it over, and over, and over, and over, and over.....

No comments:

Post a Comment