Sunday, April 24, 2011

Catching up on the news

Boy2 tried to hatch an egg. On Saturday we dyed eggs for Easter (as is the custom in many homes with small children) and as they were drying, I asked the boys to leave and play so they could dry faster (everything goes faster if you aren't watching). Instead, they asked me to turn the fan on and they opened the patio door so the wind could dry them (smart boys!). I went into the living room to vacuum, and when I came back, Boy2 was holding an egg in his hand, picking at the bits of cracked egg shell.

"What happened?" I ask (maybe not in the calmest of tones, but trying to...)

"Boy2 was hatching it," replies my little "helper" the Boy. So, it got peeled, cut in half so they each got to eat it. Their response when I handed it to them? "I don't like yolk!" Both of them!

The Boy sat very patiently for then ext half hour decorating the eggs with stickers. I cut the sticker sheet in half so both boys could use them, but Boy2's attention span is not equal to his brother's so he opted to play with the Girl for most of that time. The Boy used up all of his stickers on a single egg, so I told him to take Boy2's sheet since he was in the living room. Nothing wrong with Boy2's hearing! As soon as I said it he came running in and threw a fit because his brother was taking his stickers! Oh, boy!

Then, when they were all done and every hour or so since, the Boy has been wanting to go on an egg hunt. They were all in the basket, but he wanted to hide them and then find them himself.

It was definitely an odd kind of evening on Saturday. Hubby went to the Easter Vigil and my parents, my three brothers, sister-in-law, and my little nephew came for supper (Hubby put a 1/4 turkey in the oven before he left. Oh, WOW! So tasty!). After, Hubby was bathing the boys while I sat and visited. What was odd was sitting there, hearing the one-liners and song snippets and seeing that I really do come by it honestly. Kinda strange.

The irony is not lost on me that the one day of the year that I'll let the kids eat chocolate before breakfast is the day that the Boy seems just belligerent and that later he gets sick. Teach him to sneak extra candy and hide behind the couch to eat it.... At least he napped. Fell asleep within seconds of his head hitting the pillow and was out for an hour and a half.

We went for a bike ride the other day. The Boy was on his bike, Boy2 was on his trike, the Girl was in the stroller, Hubby and I were walking. Boy2 will not peddle. He wants to be pushed instead. So we thought "hey! we have an extra bike. Maybe we should just put training wheels on it for him." So we did that yesterday. The bike is too tall for the bike, so we're going to have to practice the trike. But, we got air in all of the bike tires, and dug out Hubby's helmet. Hubby's bike has a bell that doubles as a compass. It wasn't pointing North, so he tapped it and it shifted. I tapped it again and I broke it :) I think it just affirmed for him that I shouldn't touch anything of his...

But he and the Boy went out for a bike ride, and I raked the back yard while they were out. Then Hubby started loosening the dirt and filling in the holes in the yard. We also picked up grass seed, so hopefully we'll have a nicer yard in a month or two. The boys had lots of fun with the yard work too. I really enjoy putting the work and effort into the yard. I can hardly wait to see the fruits of our labour.... Unfortunately it may be a year or two of cultivating the yard before we get a garden in, but there's a planter box that's going to have herbs panted in it soon.

Oh! And I forgot.... I voted for the first time on Monday evening at the early polls. Civic responsibility feels good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment