Friday, April 29, 2011

Music and Parks

So, I've updated the look of the blog a bit. It was time.

Yesterday when Boy2, the Girl and I were on our way to preschool, Katy Perry's song "I Kissed a Girl" came on. Now, it's a pretty catchy ditty, and before I know it, my little boy in the back sang a bit of the chorus along with her. "Maybe I should change the station to Shine," I think, so I do. There was a commercial for women who want to have the dark circles under their eyes removed. Then they played "There Can Never be a More Beautiful You" (which you can find here). The irony was not lost on me. The message (targeted at girls) that you are perfect the way you are and don't have to look the way others want you to look, but when you are 40-something and want to look younger it's great to be able to get rid of all those unsightly blemishes that you earned throughout your adult life. I had to really think about it. Which message is the more acceptable one?

When I was downstairs changing laundry I heard this loud shout "Mom! Mom!" So I rush upstairs expecting to see blood or at the very least hear wailing. What do I get at the top of the stairs? "Mom, we're listening to Nickleback!" Jeepers! He does like his Rock and Roll!

And earlier, "Dude Looks Like a Lady" by Aerosmith came on and the Boy asked what he was saying. So I told him. "Nope. He's singing Who is the Leader, Yeah! Yeah!" (we had the radio on for quite a bit today).

Today we went to the park. The boys had been bugging me a bit, so today we finally did. The Girl sat on a blanket testing out this new thing called "grass". It's always fun watching a baby's first interaction with the green stuff that we have laying around. Anyway, the Boy layed down and made a sand angel, then picked up a stick and drew a skull and cross bones in the sand. "Mommy, I made a Jolly Roger!"

When it was time to leave though, I heard (as was anticipated) "But I don't want to go home!" (this of course from Boy2) and the fight was on. We got home, though, with minimal fuss.

Dessert tonight was an ice cream cone. As the Boy was eating his, he complained about being cold, so he put a fleecy on. Monkey see- monkey do, Boy2 wanted to as well. "No, you don't need yours. You have long sleeves, your brother doesn't." "Oh, yeah" and he kept eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment