Friday, September 23, 2011

fall cleaning and sewing

Has anyone ever tried to re-hem suit pants that have a cuff?  Me neither, but Hubby's suit pants are too long, so I'm making the attempt.  At first I thought I'd just be able to roll it up, but the seams would show.  Then I thought I could roll it under.  Then there'd be no cuff.  So I did the smart thing.  I stitch ripped the hem apart to see how it's done.  Easy peasy.  Then I straightened the creases and made some new ones.  The result?  They are currently pressed and pinned and awaiting Hubby to try them on to see if the length is right before I sew them.  Awesome or what?  :)

The Boy went to put on his Diego jammies for bed tonight (we got  them nearly a year and a half ago and he's done ALOT of growing since then). I looked at him and asked if he could wear different ones to bed tonight and I'd see what I could do for them (since when I pointed out they were too small he said "But I really love them!").  When he asked if I was going to see if I could  add fabric to them, I said maybe I'd cut them into shorts.  He was super excited for that!  So now they are cut and hemmed and sitting on the stairs, waiting for me to bring them up to his drawer.

Today is the 103rd birthday of a woman in the congregation and her daughter out on an open house birthday party for her.  We attended this afternoon.  When I told the Boy how old she was, his eyes got really wide and he asked "Is she going to die soon?"  To which I replied "Hopefully not!  Some people die younger and some people older, and some people really older.  It depends on how healthy you are (we've been discussing health and blood cells alot lately) and your body."  "Oh."  Food for thought, I guess.

The Girl has been making a habit of grabbing her sweater and bringing it to either myself or Daddy to be put on her.  She just likes waling around with her jacket.  She also brings me miscellaneous socks and shoes to put on her feet.  I keep trying to tell her that her brothers' feet are bigger than hers, but she is adamant and very vocal. She is also very particular about snacks.  Yesterday Hubby picked up some cake donuts and gave her a piece.  She saw them on the counter this morning and promptly let us know that THAT was what she wanted for breakfast.  She did it again at snack time.  And when Hubby came home for a brief lunch, again.  He gave her a small piece and when she lost interest in it wanted more from Daddy.  He gave her an even smaller piece.  She picked up the first piece (which was still bigger) and finished it.

Boy2 is in love with MarioKart.  As soon as he wakes up in the morning, before lunch, after naps, after supper, before bed, he's always asking if we can play.  This evening I said no and as soon as the word was out of my mouth, he said "But NO is mean!"  Unfortunately you can't really expect reflex-ivity in a three year old.  I'm trying to teach and encourage it, but he's a little slow at this concept.  Let's face it: many adults still haven't mastered it!

Another project I have but haven't started yet is a blue chausible for Hubby for Advent.  Plus I want to get started on a couple of Christmas projects, since that season has a tendency to sneak up on me :)  I haven't gotten  my holiday music out yet, but Hubby has the music and services planned up through Advent, so I'm thinking it won't really be that long before I dig my CD's out :)

But the kids had another pretty good day. Since cleaning the toy room downstairs, getting new furniture down there, getting rid of one of our futons (happily Uncle Peanut Butter and Auntie Jelly were able to use it), and cleaning the living room, they have been much better at bringing their toys back downstairs when I ask them too.  In going through their toy boxes I culled a few broken toys, ones with more pieces missing than found, and toys that they simply just don't play with anymore.  Some went to that big toy box in the sky and other are going to make other children very happy.  I kept alot still, and (as is the case with digging through toy boxes) they re-discovered alot and have found their "new favourites".  Pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment