Thursday, September 29, 2011

Heavy Dinner Conversation!

I was thrown for a loop today....  Walking the Boy home from Kindergarten this afternoon, he started telling me about a superhero they learned about today.  He had a metal leg, and was alive when his teacher was a baby, but then he died.  But he was a real live superhero.  But he couldn't remember the name so he just kept on talking like it would jog his memory.  Then when he was having his snack he suddenly perked up and said "I remember his name!  Terry Fox!"

At supper, I asked him to tell Daddy who they talked about in school today, so he said "We saw the story about Terry Fox on the smart board!  He had a metal leg, and then they took it off him and so he died.  But he was alive when my teacher was a baby in Spruce Grove."  Stopped him to straighten facts that he didn't die because the leg was taken off, but that the original leg was sick and was replaced with the metal prosthetic so he could still walk/run.  Which, of course, led to a discussion on how the leg got sick, how the prosthetic may or may not have been attached, what cancer is, how white blood cells do (or don't) work in these cases.  The child just would not let it go!  "But I have good white blood.  I don't have cancer."  "No, sweetie, you don't have cancer.  Your white blood cells are very, VERY healthy!"  His mind is such a sponge!  Everything just goes is and is processed so rapidly.  We didn't get into family members who've had cancer and either won or lost the battle.  We won't until a much later time, but it really never ceases to amaze me the way his mind works!

Tuesday evening the Girl fell down the stairs.  Boy2 was going up to go potty and get jammies, and I'd already removed her from the stairs once.  I turned into the kitchen to talk to Hubby, and we heard a THUD!  There she was at the bottom of the stairs crying.  So I ran her into the hospital in Stony Plain even though she didn't display signs of concussion (just wanted to be SURE), and she spent most of the three hours we were there charming everyone.  Playing, giggling, talking, walking, being coy....  But now she has quite the shiner.  Took a couple of pictures, but you can't really see it.  The colour will likely come out more in a day or so, so I'll try again and post some.

The boys both spent most of yesterday either fighting, colouring, or fighting over the colouring.  They got out the markers after Daddy left for work and before we went to the church for Bible Study.  I went up to put the Girl down for a nap and I came down to a silent living room and they were laying on their tummies on the floor, each with his own colouring book and a marker.  They HAD to bring them to the church, and after nap time they got them out again.  The Boy mostly.  Boy2 wanted to cause a fight or two, but I got him to watch me make cookies instead.  It's all about redirecting their attention :)

But it's been a full week so far.  Monday Hubby went in for a LASIK consultation and he booked the procedure (SO excited for that!), Tuesday was Kindergarten and then the two little ones and I went to pick up a winter jacket for the Boy.  Got to the till and realized that my wallet was not in my purse, but on the kitchen table.  Left the stuff at the front, ran home, got the wallet, went back to the store, made the purchases, and returned home in time for lunch.  Instead of racing (MarioKart) like I'd promised Boy2, we did nap time instead.  The only thing that calmed the poor boy down was telling him he could sleep on my bed with the Girl and I.  So he did and we did.  Well, I didn't sleep.  My morning had been shot, so I had to play catch up.

Then yesterday we had to return and exchange the coat for another one.  They didn't have his size, only a size smaller or a much bigger one, so I went with the bigger one.  WAY too big!  So we went back with him to try them one and we found one.  And Daddy had promised the boys that they would go for a walk after supper Wednesday just the three of them with no Mommy and no Girl, so they did.  And while they did that, I bathed the Girl and put her to bed.  It was good.  And I got out the humidifier for the boys' room and set it up.  It was empty this morning which tells me it's more than a little bit dry up there.  Oh, well.  It's fall.

We woke up to frost and 2C, so I'm very grateful we got the Boy's coat when we did.  And I dug the gloves out for his little fingers for the walk to school and recess.  It only got up to 16C or so today as well, so I'm thinking summer is well and truly over.

Tomorrow is Conference Convention for Hubby, but that's only in Edmonton so I don't have to worry too much about that.  But Monday he leaves me for Saskatoon for a few days for the First Call program.  Then he gets back to do a wedding on the 8th and two baptisms on the 9th.  And a funeral this Saturday.  Busy, busy Hubby!

No comments:

Post a Comment